Subject: bug#27445: 26.0.50; Insufficient documentation for pinentry.el

From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 17:55:20 +0000

On Sun 19 Nov 2017, Daiki Ueno wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Ping!
>
> Sorry for not responding to it earlier.
>
>>> Daiki, could you please add some user-level documentation about this
>>> package?
>
> I would rather not document it, because the package should be
> transparent to user.  If it doesn't work, you are using either GnuPG 2.0
> or some stupid distro package neglecting upstream's default (only
> Debian, as far as I know).

How on earth is a user meant to diagnose a non-working setup without
adequate documentation ?

> Fortunately, GnuPG 2.0 will be unsupported in the next month.  After
> that we should be able to obsolete or remove the package.

Just because upstream remove support for something does not mean that
all downstream distros or users systems are fully up to date.

While it is sensible to encourage users to use the latest package
version and to install security fixes, there will be many people with
systems using older package versions for some time. Those users will
need documentation to guide them.

    AndyM