Subject: bug#27445: 26.0.50; Insufficient documentation for pinentry.el

From: Daiki Ueno <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 08:07:30 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ping!

Sorry for not responding to it earlier.

>> Daiki, could you please add some user-level documentation about this
>> package?

I would rather not document it, because the package should be
transparent to user.  If it doesn't work, you are using either GnuPG 2.0
or some stupid distro package neglecting upstream's default (only
Debian, as far as I know).

Anyway; the package (and the corresponding change in GnuPG and pinentry)
was intended to provide a way to input passphrase through Emacs with
GnuPG 2.0.  However for some reason the change was only implemented in
GnuPG >= 2.1 and didn't get backported to GnuPG 2.0.

>> > I discovered by accident that
>> > 
>> > #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>> >   (setq epa-pinentry-mode 'loopback)
>> > #+end_src
>> > 
>> > does what I want.

This is indeed a correct solution if we only care about GnuPG >= 2.1.

Fortunately, GnuPG 2.0 will be unsupported in the next month.  After
that we should be able to obsolete or remove the package.

Regards,
-- 
Daiki Ueno