Subject: Re: bug#27442: Un-obsolete x-clipboard-yank, or provide analogous functional

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 18:20:30 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> In the clipboard? supported by all the systems and all the clipboard
> varieties out there?

I don't know -- probably by the ones we care most about.

> Is it reasonable to assume that close enough time stamps necessarily
> mean we are the owner?

It's a millisecond timestamp on the clipboard -- so it's a better guess
than what we have.

>> It just makes `M-x clipboard-yank' defeat the "check for duplicates"
>> logic and always return the contents of the clipboard.
>
> But that would mean we throw away the baby together with the
> bathwater, no?  Why would we want to do that?

No, this is the command `M-x clipboard-yank' only, which should always
return the clipboard contents.  The DWIM stuff in this gui selection
function is for `C-y' and friends.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no