Subject: Re: bug#27435: patch for dired-mouse-find-file-other-window

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 13:27:39 +0300

> Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 18:26:58 +0900 (JST)
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Tak Kunihiro <[email-masked]>
> 
> > Can you describe a use case where you need to customize the function
> > used to visit a file from Dired?
> 
> On dired I use `RET', `o', and `C-o' on different occasions and I
> prefer mouse click to work as `RET' instead of `C-o'.  This is
> especially true when there are more than three windows in a frame.
> 
> The patch lets mouse click on dired visit a file or directory in
> <this-window> not in <other-window> with following customization.
> 
>   (setq dired-mouse-find-file-func 'find-file)

But you could have the same effect by rebinding mouse-2 to another
function.  We just need to add such a function, which should work like
dired-mouse-find-file-other-window, but visit the file in the same
window.  That sounds like a better alternative for this use case,
because customizing a function-valued variable is trickier for users
than rebinding keys.