Subject: Re: bug#27435: patch for dired-mouse-find-file-other-window

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 11:09:34 +0300

> Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 15:27:47 +0900 (JST)
> From: Tak Kunihiro <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> I have sent a patch to let mouse click on dired to open file (or
> directory) in this-window not in other-window, 8 weeks ago.  This
> patch does not change default, and (I think) lets dired respond to
> what non-expert expects, with following two local lines.
> 
>   (setq dired-mouse-find-dir-func (lambda (file) (interactive) (dired-find-alternate-file)))
>   (setq dired-mouse-find-file-func 'find-file)
> 
> Please respond to the patch (including rejection).

It is "wishlist" bug report, so lack of response generally means
there's not much interest in the proposal.

Can you describe a use case where you need to customize the function
used to visit a file from Dired?

(Btw, we use "visit a file", not "open a file" in our terminology, so
at least that aspect in the doc strings of your patch should be
amended.)

Thanks.