Subject: Re: bug#27427: 26.0.50; Native line numbers lead to display error in company-mode popup

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 19:24:21 +0300

On 6/25/17 6:59 PM, martin rudalics wrote:

> (let ((window (split-window-horizontally)))
>    (set-window-margins window 0 0)
>    (set-window-fringes window 0 0))
> 
> Now move the divider between the two windows as far as possible to the
> right and in the window on the right move to the end of the first line.
> Here a '$' appears at the beginning of each line

Thanks. Still, the popup is positioned correctly here in this scenario.

> Maybe one day Eli will come up with a redesign which would allow to
> divide a window into side-by-side subwindows that would share a common
> scroll bar so ‘follow-mode’ would be done entirely by the display
> engine.  And each such subwindow would have an arbitrary number of
> subwindows usable as margins for that window and a line number subwindow
> and whatever else we want.

I'd rather think in terms of "submargins", one per "category", and 
having an alist of particular properties of each of those categories.

>  > I can't see a way to create a less-than-fullscreen frame in terminal
>  > Emacs (speaking of normal frames here).
> 
> Popup frames (or tooltip frames) on terminals would have to be emulated
> as we currently do for menus.

Thanks for commenting.

Weren't menus in the terminal rendered using a certain special method, 
different from overlays?