Subject: Re: bug#27427: 26.0.50; Native line numbers lead to display error in company-mode popup

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:13:54 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2017 23:43:25 +0300
> 
> On 6/24/17 8:28 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > Now done.  Please see if this allows company-mode to fix its display
> > when line numbers are displayed.
> 
> Seems to work well locally, aside from the EOB case (*). Will commit 
> after you push to master.

Great, thanks for testing.

> BTW, without this property, I now see line numbers beside all the visual 
> lines the popup overlay takes up, and the number is the same: N+1, where 
> N is the line-at-point. That doesn't look intended.

The displayed line number reflects the line of the buffer positions
corresponding to what's on that screen line.  If none of the buffer
positions appear on that screen line, it's the line of the buffer
position(s) "covered" by the display string/overlay which generates
the display.

If what you see doesn't fit this description, please show a
screenshot, and describe or show the code which puts the overlay that
causes the display.

> (*) The case is where the overlay is shown below the last line of the 
> buffer. In that case, we display the popup using the `after-string' 
> property. The after-EOB glyphs don't seem to be affected by 
> `display-line-numbers-disable'.

I'm not sure I understand: are you saying that you've put the property
in that case and it didn't have the expected effect?  Or are you
saying that you don't have a position to put the property in that
case?  If the former, can you tell on which buffer position you put
the property, and perhaps show a simple reproducer?

Thanks.