Subject: bug#27427: 26.0.50; Native line numbers lead to display error in company-mode popup

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 16:06:12 +0300

On 7/6/17 10:08 AM, martin rudalics wrote:

> I don't understand the reasons for this combination.  Inherently this
> emulates idle timers as also the variable names (‘company-idle-delay’,
> ‘company-tooltip-idle-delay’) indicate.

We need post-command-hook anyway, to add or remove the timer depending 
on the last command. I don't recall the exact reasons for the choice 
between the idle and non-idle timers, but flyspell comes to mind (and 
its use of sit-for).

>  > It would be nice if the popup were able to reposition itself when the
>  > Emacs window is resized, of course (post-command-hook doesn't always
>  > run in such cases), but we've been living well enough without that.
> 
> Putting the function on ‘window-size-change-functions’ should handle
> that now.

Maybe that's enough. What if the user moves the Emacs frame around with 
a mouse, without resizing? Will the tooltip window follow?

> For earlier Emacs versions you probably have to resort to
> ‘window-configuration-change-hook’ as well.

They won't support the new style tooltips anyway.