Subject: bug#27427: 26.0.50; Native line numbers lead to display error in company-mode popup

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2017 16:33:30 +0300

> Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2017 15:22:43 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
>  > I hoped the application would do that, via some new API.
> 
> We'd at least need something like a ‘TTY-check-popup-functions’ called
> immediately before the display engine looks at the popups list: The
> application could then check whether its popup is still relevant and
> whether is should be redisplayed, possibly at a different location, with
> different text.

Why not the other way around: let the application specify the text and
the position of the popup in dedicated variables, and then redisplay
could just access those as part of its job?

> So far, the implementation of child and undecorated frames is complete.
> Hence, for the moment I intend to proceed as follows: People who need
> such frames should read the manual and try to provide a GUI solution for
> their problem.  As soon as we have a few samples that work
> satisfactorily on GUI systems, we can try to implement a fairly useful
> workaround for TTY systems.  However, if people say they need to select
> such frames or put the cursor into one of their windows, we have to
> rethink how to implement a TTY solution if it's viable at all.

Sounds like a good plan, thanks.