Subject: Re: bug#27427: 26.0.50; Native line numbers lead to display error in company-mode popup

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 12:33:31 +0300

> Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 10:27:50 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Suppose we spliced in some special TTY_popup_window_list slot for every
> frame.

That's what I had in mind, yes.

> Then we'd have to invent functions for accessing and changing its
> elements.

We already have functions for accessing elements of lists and changing
lists.

> If such an element were an Emacs window, practically all functions
> that access and change windows and their properties would have to be
> rewritten in consequence of that.

What functions are you alluding to here, specifically?  And what did
you mean by "an Emacs window"?

My idea was that these windows would be "special", in that they could
only display some special buffer or maybe only a string.  About the
only function we'd need is to set the coordinates where such a window
will be displayed.  Everything else, including the dimensions, will be
determined by the text to be displayed there.