Subject: bug#27403: 26.0.50; Indentation misalignment with Unicode code points >65535

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 07:40:10 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> In the fonts I use, it's definitely wide.  But so is ☺, which is marked
>> as narrow.
>> 
>> So ❓
>
> I don't see how this can be solved as long as indentation works in
> columns.  If some font produces a glyph whose width isn't anywhere
> close to the Unicode width specifications, what can we do except tell
> people not to use those fonts?
>
> Alternatively, if it turns out that most fonts use different width, we
> could amend our char-width table to be consistent with those fonts.

Yes, it would be nice if this worked better out-of-the-box for most
people, but I wouldn't want to manually maintain a list of typical char
widths, either.

By the way, ☺ in the terminal here (Debian/bullseye) does take 1
character while 👍 takes two, so perhaps they're also using the same
Unicode data that we're using...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no