Subject: Re: bug#27403: 26.0.50; Indentation misalignment with Unicode code points >65535

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 21:25:03 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > OK, then why did you say the data was outdated?
>> 
>> Because it was.
>
> Where's the up-to-date data we could use?

I don't know either -- the character is still wide in Unicode 14.

👍 (1f44d) is here:

1F442..1F4FC;W   # So   [187] EAR..VIDEOCASSETTE

So it's "W", which is "wide"...

The document that has the widths, though refers to this:

https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr11/

---
This annex presents the specifications of a normative property for
Unicode characters that is useful when interoperating with East Asian
Legacy character sets.
---

So it's wide in the context of East Asian scripts, which isn't really
the primary usage of characters like emojis.

I tried googling around for a couple minutes to see whether Unicode has
made a data file that says something about typical character widths
outside of an East Asian context, and I can't find anything.

Uhm...  https://codepoints.net/U+1F44D?lang=en says it's neutral?
https://util.unicode.org/UnicodeJsps/character.jsp?a=1F44D says wide.

In the fonts I use, it's definitely wide.  But so is ☺, which is marked
as narrow.

So ❓

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no