Subject: Re: [bug#27401] [PATCH] doc: Suggest a QEMU image size large enough for the system examples.

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 20:03:17 +0200

Leo Famulari writes:

>> LGTM, however -- What about something like this patch too?  I seems that
>> the VMs we create (although they are of the ballooning cow2 kind), are
>> 2GiB -- i.e., almost unusable for Real Stuff (TM)?
>
> I chose 2GiB for those images because it's pretty easy to grow a
> partition and ext4 filesystem from a running system. On the other hand,
> I couldn't find an easy way to shrink them.
>
> We can't predict the size of the virtual block device storage provided
> by a VPS hoster,

Ah, sure.  I missed that aspect.

> so I chose this small size with these expectations:
> 1) 2GiB will never be too big

Yes.

> 2) users will resize after booting

When I was asked to help with this, I was confronted with a 2GiB sda1
and right behind that an EFI sda2.  That was running in vmware (don't
ask ;-).  We hesitated, removed the sda2 and did the resize thing.

Sadly I have no further information, instead of testing the reboot we
decided to go for qemu.

> I didn't come up with a better solution for the problem of not knowing
> the storage size in advance. What do you think?

Yes, I think you made the right choice.

Greetings,
janneke

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com