Subject: bug#274: 23.0.60; command paths are not expanded in *shell* buffer

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 19:56:05 +0200

Hello!

After launching GNU Emacs with -Q and creating a *shell* buffer (with  
tcsh 6.12.00 (Astron) 2002-07-23 (powerpc-apple-darwin) options  
8b,nls,dl,al,kan,sm,rh,color,dspm,filec) I can't expand the absolute  
path of GNU Emacs. It does not work when I start typing /us<TAB> nor  
does it work when I insert a <SPC> before the /us start of the path  
name. (When I type <RET> to get rid of everything typed tcsh asks me  
whether /usr is OK, autocorrect and 'correct = all' are set). It also  
fails with relative paths.

It works (with absolute and relative paths) when I start the command  
with another word (some command or alias). When I then type <TAB> to  
complete, a *Completions* buffer is created showing me case- 
insensitive completions. When I now select with the mouse a  
candidate, part of what I had typed before is deleted. To start with  
my example:

	I had written 'l /us' and then pressed <TAB>
	I selected with mouse-2 from the two presented completions 'Users/'  
and 'usr/' the latter
	command line now showed: <prompt> usr/

I can undo and start again. I can start in a new *shell* buffer to  
type /us <TAB> <TAB>, which leads to nothing, and then change to: C-a  
l <SPC> C-e <TAB> and completion works suddenly ('l' is an alias for  
ls, but I could also insert 'a' or 'I' which are neither commands nor  
aliases nor shell functions in Bourne shell alikes). The deletion  
also happens with file names, for example with 'l .emacs <TAB> mouse-2'.

The presence of a ~/.emacs_tcsh file place no role. The type of shell  
plays no role, i.e. I can reproduce this in a bash (2.05b.0(1)- 
release or 3.2.9(1)-release) I start inside tcsh.

This behaviour started weeks, or months, ago. I then thought it was  
due to adding 'correct = all', but *shell* in GNU Emacs 22.2 does not  
show the same ... and the tcsh setting plays no role!

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d  
scroll bars)
  of 2008-05-18 on Latsche.local
Windowing system distributor `The XFree86 Project, Inc', version  
11.0.40400000
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-pop' '-- 
with-dbus' '--with-libotf' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '--enable- 
locallisppath=/Library/Application Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs/caml:/Library/Application Support/Emacs:/sw/ 
share/emacs21/site-lisp/elib' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/freetype219/ 
lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/qt4-x11/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/ 
usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig' 'CFLAGS=-ggdb - 
gfull -H -Wno-pointer-sign -bind_at_load -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 - 
mtune=7450 -mno-powerpc64 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize -fno- 
crossjumping' 'CPPFLAGS=-no-cpp-precomp -I/sw/include -I/usr/local/ 
include -idirafter /usr/X11R6/include' 'LDFLAGS=-bind_at_load - 
dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/sw/lib/ncurses -L/sw/lib -L/ 
usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <escape> x s h e l l <return>
/ u s <tab> <tab> <left> <left> <left> SPC C-e <tab>
<tab> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar>
<help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Math illiteracy affects 7 out of every 5 Americans.