Subject: Re: bug#27399: 26.0.50; Tooltips displayed on images in shr do not line wrap

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 18:52:27 +0200

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 18:43:24 +0200 Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 19:30:13 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>> From: [email-masked] (Adam Sjøgren)
>>> Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 18:05:27 +0200
>>> 
>>> 
>>> When displaying tooltips (the content of an HTML title attribute, for
>>> instance) with long texts, the text is not line wrapped.
>>> 
>>> Here is a screenshot from an xkcd comic, showing the problem:
>>> 
>>>  · https://koldfront.dk/misc/gnu-emacs//gnus_shr_long_titles_wasnt_this_fixed.png
>>> 
>>> Tooltip texts should be line wrapped, because otherwise you can't read
>>> the entire text. It used to be, as far as I remember, so this is
>>> probably a regression.
>>
>> Are you sure you saw lines wrapping in tooltips?  AFAIR, text shown in
>> a tooltip should be preformatted to not require wrapping.
>
>> From the screenshot this looks like it's using the GTK+ system tooltip,
> and I can confirm the observation with x-gtk-use-system-tooltips set to
> t (the default).  But when I set this variable to nil to use the builtin
> Emacs tooltip, the tooltip does have wrapped lines.

To be more precise: with the built-in Emacs tooltips, the text of the
tooltip in the above screenshot is displayed in four lines, not with
word-wrapping but wrapping at the tooltip window's edge.

Steve Berman