Subject: bug#27399: 26.0.50; Tooltips displayed on images in shr do not line wrap

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 18:43:24 +0200

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 19:30:13 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: [email-masked] (Adam Sjøgren)
>> Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 18:05:27 +0200
>> 
>> 
>> When displaying tooltips (the content of an HTML title attribute, for
>> instance) with long texts, the text is not line wrapped.
>> 
>> Here is a screenshot from an xkcd comic, showing the problem:
>> 
>>  · https://koldfront.dk/misc/gnu-emacs//gnus_shr_long_titles_wasnt_this_fixed.png
>> 
>> Tooltip texts should be line wrapped, because otherwise you can't read
>> the entire text. It used to be, as far as I remember, so this is
>> probably a regression.
>
> Are you sure you saw lines wrapping in tooltips?  AFAIR, text shown in
> a tooltip should be preformatted to not require wrapping.

>From the screenshot this looks like it's using the GTK+ system tooltip,
and I can confirm the observation with x-gtk-use-system-tooltips set to
t (the default).  But when I set this variable to nil to use the builtin
Emacs tooltip, the tooltip does have wrapped lines.

Steve