Subject: Re: bug#27397: [PATCH] New commands for bulk tracing of elisp functions

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 15:07:25 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Dmitry,

> I'm not sure I understand. This find the library to which a function
> belongs. How do we find the file corresponding to a package name this
> way?

Forget it. Phil has a simpler approach, based on `load-history'.

> This question aside, I'm not sure we'll always want to ignore
> "tramp-sh" when tracing "tramp". IOW, that this will be every user's
> preference.

Sure. There's still (trace-regexp "^tramp-"), no problem.

> For instance, someone might try to trace-package "cedet", and expect
> every function belonging to CEDET to be traced, subpackages and all.

How do you define you a "subpackage"? In Tramp, I don't know what makes
tramp-sh.el a subpackage of tramp.el, except my knowledge as maintainer.

> And likewise for multi-file ELPA packages. In that case, it's
> understood that a "package" can be spread over several files.

Again, `tramp-regexp' is your friend.

Best regards, Michael.