Subject: Re: bug#27397: [PATCH] New commands for bulk tracing of elisp functions

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 13:06:14 +1200

On 18/06/17 10:59, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> Why the rename, though? Those are not arguments for the function we're
> going to trace. trace--read-args sounds as appropriate, if not more.

That was because the behaviour of `trace--read-args' had been quite
specific to the `trace-function*' commands -- its primary purpose was
to prompt for a single function -- and I thought the name should reflect
that.  I agree with you, though -- the new name wasn't ideal either.

I've now refactored this like so:

* `trace--read-args' has been split into `trace--read-function` and
  `trace--read-extra-args'.

* `trace--read-function` reads only a function.

* `The interactive specs for the trace-function*' commands are now
   similar to those of the new bulk trace commands, in explicitly
   calling `trace--read-extra-args':

  (interactive
   (cons (trace--read-function "Trace function: ")
         (and current-prefix-arg (trace--read-extra-args))))

I think this name change makes better sense, and the code is now more
consistent between commands.

-Phil