Subject: Re: bug#27397: [PATCH] New commands for bulk tracing of elisp functions

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 20:43:00 +1200

On 17/06/17 02:58, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> This patch could probably use a NEWS entry, though.

Yes, that's a good point. I'll add one to the next revision.
Something like this?

** Trace

*** New commands 'trace-package' and 'trace-regexp' (and their
counterparts 'untrace-package' and 'untrace-regexp') allow for the
bulk tracing of calls to functions with names matching a specified
prefix or regexp.

As there's no info node for trace.el, that could perhaps be a +++
entry; although a grep shows me that "(tramp) Traces and Profiles"
could be amended to change:

     (require 'trace)
     (dolist (elt (all-completions "tramp-" obarray 'functionp))
       (trace-function-background (intern elt)))

to:

     (trace-package "tramp-")

It would be good to add a node to the elisp manual covering trace.el,
but that's not strictly part of this patch.

-Phil