Subject: 26.0.50; Error with customize-group

From: Simen Heggestøyl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 21:24:20 +0200

Typing 'M-x customize-group RET css RET' results in an error and an
unusable customization buffer.

A backtrace follows:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument listp (character))
  widget-put((repeat character) :options ((125 59)))
  custom-variable-type(css-electric-keys)
  custom-variable-value-create((custom-variable :group (custom-group 
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag "Css" :value css 
:buttons ((custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #2 :children 
((choice-item :help-echo "Change the state of this item." :format 
"%[%t%]" :button-prefix widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix 
widget-push-button-suffix :mouse-down-action 
widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " :parent #4 :indent 0 
:button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in *Customize Group: 
Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :from #<marker 
(moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker 
at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :sample-overlay #<overlay from 282 
to 293 in *Customize Group: Css*> :custom-magic (custom-magic :args 
(nil) :indent 0 :parent #2 :children ((choice-item :help-echo "Change 
the state of this item." :format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix 
widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix 
:mouse-down-action widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " 
:parent #3 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in 
*Customize Group: Css*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 
in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: 
Css*>)) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize 
Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :tag "Css 
Electric Keys" :custom-prefixes ("css-") :custom-level 2 :value 
css-electric-keys :parent (custom-group :documentation-shown t 
:custom-state unknown :tag "Css" :value css :buttons ((custom-magic 
:args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #2 :children ((choice-item :help-echo 
"Change the state of this item." :format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix 
widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix 
:mouse-down-action widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " 
:parent #4 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in 
*Customize Group: Css*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 
in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: 
Css*>)) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize 
Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) 
:sample-overlay #<overlay from 282 to 293 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:custom-magic (custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #2 :children 
((choice-item :help-echo "Change the state of this item." :format 
"%[%t%]" :button-prefix widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix 
widget-push-button-suffix :mouse-down-action 
widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " :parent #3 :indent 0 
:button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in *Customize Group: 
Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :from #<marker 
(moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker 
at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :indent 0 :custom-form edit))
  widget-apply((custom-variable :group (custom-group 
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag "Css" :value css 
:buttons ((custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #2 :children 
((choice-item :help-echo "Change the state of this item." :format 
"%[%t%]" :button-prefix widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix 
widget-push-button-suffix :mouse-down-action 
widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " :parent #4 :indent 0 
:button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in *Customize Group: 
Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :from #<marker 
(moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker 
at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :sample-overlay #<overlay from 282 
to 293 in *Customize Group: Css*> :custom-magic (custom-magic :args 
(nil) :indent 0 :parent #2 :children ((choice-item :help-echo "Change 
the state of this item." :format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix 
widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix 
:mouse-down-action widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " 
:parent #3 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in 
*Customize Group: Css*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 
in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: 
Css*>)) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize 
Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :tag "Css 
Electric Keys" :custom-prefixes ("css-") :custom-level 2 :value 
css-electric-keys :parent (custom-group :documentation-shown t 
:custom-state unknown :tag "Css" :value css :buttons ((custom-magic 
:args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #2 :children ((choice-item :help-echo 
"Change the state of this item." :format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix 
widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix 
:mouse-down-action widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " 
:parent #4 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in 
*Customize Group: Css*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 
in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: 
Css*>)) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize 
Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) 
:sample-overlay #<overlay from 282 to 293 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:custom-magic (custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #2 :children 
((choice-item :help-echo "Change the state of this item." :format 
"%[%t%]" :button-prefix widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix 
widget-push-button-suffix :mouse-down-action 
widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " :parent #3 :indent 0 
:button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in *Customize Group: 
Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :from #<marker 
(moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker 
at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :indent 0 :custom-form edit) 
:value-create)
  widget-default-create((custom-variable :group (custom-group 
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag "Css" :value css 
:buttons ((custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #2 :children 
((choice-item :help-echo "Change the state of this item." :format 
"%[%t%]" :button-prefix widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix 
widget-push-button-suffix :mouse-down-action 
widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " :parent #4 :indent 0 
:button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in *Customize Group: 
Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :from #<marker 
(moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker 
at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :sample-overlay #<overlay from 282 
to 293 in *Customize Group: Css*> :custom-magic (custom-magic :args 
(nil) :indent 0 :parent #2 :children ((choice-item :help-echo "Change 
the state of this item." :format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix 
widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix 
:mouse-down-action widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " 
:parent #3 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in 
*Customize Group: Css*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 
in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: 
Css*>)) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize 
Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :tag "Css 
Electric Keys" :custom-prefixes ("css-") :custom-level 2 :value 
css-electric-keys :parent (custom-group :documentation-shown t 
:custom-state unknown :tag "Css" :value css :buttons ((custom-magic 
:args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #2 :children ((choice-item :help-echo 
"Change the state of this item." :format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix 
widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix 
:mouse-down-action widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " 
:parent #4 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in 
*Customize Group: Css*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 
in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: 
Css*>)) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize 
Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) 
:sample-overlay #<overlay from 282 to 293 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:custom-magic (custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #2 :children 
((choice-item :help-echo "Change the state of this item." :format 
"%[%t%]" :button-prefix widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix 
widget-push-button-suffix :mouse-down-action 
widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " :parent #3 :indent 0 
:button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in *Customize Group: 
Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :from #<marker 
(moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker 
at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :indent 0 :custom-form edit))
  widget-apply((custom-variable :group (custom-group 
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag "Css" :value css 
:buttons ((custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #2 :children 
((choice-item :help-echo "Change the state of this item." :format 
"%[%t%]" :button-prefix widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix 
widget-push-button-suffix :mouse-down-action 
widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " :parent #4 :indent 0 
:button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in *Customize Group: 
Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :from #<marker 
(moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker 
at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :sample-overlay #<overlay from 282 
to 293 in *Customize Group: Css*> :custom-magic (custom-magic :args 
(nil) :indent 0 :parent #2 :children ((choice-item :help-echo "Change 
the state of this item." :format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix 
widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix 
:mouse-down-action widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " 
:parent #3 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in 
*Customize Group: Css*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 
in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: 
Css*>)) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize 
Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :tag "Css 
Electric Keys" :custom-prefixes ("css-") :custom-level 2 :value 
css-electric-keys :parent (custom-group :documentation-shown t 
:custom-state unknown :tag "Css" :value css :buttons ((custom-magic 
:args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #2 :children ((choice-item :help-echo 
"Change the state of this item." :format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix 
widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix 
:mouse-down-action widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " 
:parent #4 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in 
*Customize Group: Css*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 
in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: 
Css*>)) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize 
Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) 
:sample-overlay #<overlay from 282 to 293 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:custom-magic (custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #2 :children 
((choice-item :help-echo "Change the state of this item." :format 
"%[%t%]" :button-prefix widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix 
widget-push-button-suffix :mouse-down-action 
widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " :parent #3 :indent 0 
:button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in *Customize Group: 
Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :from #<marker 
(moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker 
at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :indent 0 :custom-form edit) 
:create)
  widget-create-child-and-convert((custom-group :documentation-shown t 
:custom-state unknown :tag "Css" :value css :buttons ((custom-magic 
:args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #1 :children ((choice-item :help-echo 
"Change the state of this item." :format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix 
widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix 
:mouse-down-action widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " 
:parent #3 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in 
*Customize Group: Css*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 
in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: 
Css*>)) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize 
Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) 
:sample-overlay #<overlay from 282 to 293 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:custom-magic (custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #1 :children 
((choice-item :help-echo "Change the state of this item." :format 
"%[%t%]" :button-prefix widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix 
widget-push-button-suffix :mouse-down-action 
widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " :parent #2 :indent 0 
:button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in *Customize Group: 
Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :from #<marker 
(moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker 
at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) custom-variable :group 
(custom-group :documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag "Css" 
:value css :buttons ((custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #1 
:children ((choice-item :help-echo "Change the state of this item." 
:format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix widget-push-button-prefix 
:button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix :mouse-down-action 
widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " :parent #3 :indent 0 
:button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in *Customize Group: 
Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :from #<marker 
(moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker 
at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :sample-overlay #<overlay from 282 
to 293 in *Customize Group: Css*> :custom-magic (custom-magic :args 
(nil) :indent 0 :parent #1 :children ((choice-item :help-echo "Change 
the state of this item." :format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix 
widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix 
:mouse-down-action widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " 
:parent #2 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in 
*Customize Group: Css*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 
in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: 
Css*>)) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize 
Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :tag "Css 
Electric Keys" :custom-prefixes ("css-") :custom-level 2 :value 
css-electric-keys)
  custom-group-value-create((custom-group :documentation-shown t 
:custom-state unknown :tag "Css" :value css :buttons ((custom-magic 
:args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #1 :children ((choice-item :help-echo 
"Change the state of this item." :format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix 
widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix 
:mouse-down-action widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " 
:parent #3 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in 
*Customize Group: Css*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 
in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: 
Css*>)) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize 
Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) 
:sample-overlay #<overlay from 282 to 293 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:custom-magic (custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #1 :children 
((choice-item :help-echo "Change the state of this item." :format 
"%[%t%]" :button-prefix widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix 
widget-push-button-suffix :mouse-down-action 
widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " :parent #2 :indent 0 
:button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in *Customize Group: 
Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :from #<marker 
(moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker 
at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)))
  widget-apply((custom-group :documentation-shown t :custom-state 
unknown :tag "Css" :value css :buttons ((custom-magic :args (nil) 
:indent 0 :parent #1 :children ((choice-item :help-echo "Change the 
state of this item." :format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix 
widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix 
:mouse-down-action widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " 
:parent #3 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in 
*Customize Group: Css*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 
in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: 
Css*>)) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize 
Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) 
:sample-overlay #<overlay from 282 to 293 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:custom-magic (custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #1 :children 
((choice-item :help-echo "Change the state of this item." :format 
"%[%t%]" :button-prefix widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix 
widget-push-button-suffix :mouse-down-action 
widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " :parent #2 :indent 0 
:button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in *Customize Group: 
Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :from #<marker 
(moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker 
at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :value-create)
  widget-default-create((custom-group :documentation-shown t 
:custom-state unknown :tag "Css" :value css :buttons ((custom-magic 
:args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #1 :children ((choice-item :help-echo 
"Change the state of this item." :format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix 
widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix 
:mouse-down-action widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " 
:parent #3 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in 
*Customize Group: Css*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 
in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: 
Css*>)) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize 
Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) 
:sample-overlay #<overlay from 282 to 293 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:custom-magic (custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #1 :children 
((choice-item :help-echo "Change the state of this item." :format 
"%[%t%]" :button-prefix widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix 
widget-push-button-suffix :mouse-down-action 
widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " :parent #2 :indent 0 
:button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in *Customize Group: 
Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :from #<marker 
(moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker 
at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)))
  widget-apply((custom-group :documentation-shown t :custom-state 
unknown :tag "Css" :value css :buttons ((custom-magic :args (nil) 
:indent 0 :parent #1 :children ((choice-item :help-echo "Change the 
state of this item." :format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix 
widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix 
:mouse-down-action widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " 
:parent #3 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in 
*Customize Group: Css*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 
in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: 
Css*>)) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize 
Group: Css*> :to #<marker at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) 
:sample-overlay #<overlay from 282 to 293 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:custom-magic (custom-magic :args (nil) :indent 0 :parent #1 :children 
((choice-item :help-echo "Change the state of this item." :format 
"%[%t%]" :button-prefix widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix 
widget-push-button-suffix :mouse-down-action 
widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " :parent #2 :indent 0 
:button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 349 in *Customize Group: Css*> 
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in *Customize Group: 
Css*> :to #<marker at 349 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :from #<marker 
(moves after insertion) at 336 in *Customize Group: Css*> :to #<marker 
at 388 in *Customize Group: Css*>)) :create)
  widget-create(custom-group :documentation-shown t :custom-state 
unknown :tag "Css" :value css)
  #[257 "\300A@\301\302\303\304\305\306@!\307	@&	\207" 
[widget-create :documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag 
custom-unlispify-tag-name :value] 11 "\n\n(fn ENTRY)"]((css 
custom-group))
  mapcar(#[257 "\300A@\301\302\303\304\305\306@!\307	@&	\207" 
[widget-create :documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag 
custom-unlispify-tag-name :value] 11 "\n\n(fn ENTRY)"] ((css 
custom-group)))
  custom-buffer-create-internal(((css custom-group)))
  custom-buffer-create(((css custom-group)) "*Customize Group: Css*" " 
for group Css")
  customize-group("css")
  funcall-interactively(customize-group "css")
  call-interactively(customize-group record nil)
  command-execute(customize-group record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "customize-group" "customize-group")
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "customize-group" 
"customize-group")
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)