Subject: next-error-recenter doesn't work with occur

From: Jonathan Kotta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 12:28:30 -0500

(setq next-error-recenter '(4))
(occur "setq")
(next-error)

There's an error message "next-error: ‘recenter’ing a window that does not
display current-buffer."

I assume this has something to do with how occur-next-error sets things
up, or maybe there needs to be a workaround in next-error itself.
next-error-recenter works with e.g. rgrep without this error.

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2017-05-18 built on ubuntu
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
System Description: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-xft --without-gconf
 --without-gsettings'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS NOTIFY ACL
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
(4)
Searched 1 buffer; 1 match for "setq"
You can run the command ‘occur’ with M-s o
Searched 1 buffer; 1 match for "setq"
next-error: ‘recenter’ing a window that does not display current-buffer.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils thingatpt time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 87216 8325)
 (symbols 48 19795 0)
 (miscs 40 60 160)
 (strings 32 15235 4295)
 (string-bytes 1 424814)
 (vectors 16 11820)
 (vector-slots 8 431403 4370)
 (floats 8 170 191)
 (intervals 56 233 24)
 (buffers 976 19)
 (heap 1024 38863 754))

-- 
Thanks,

Jonathan Kotta

Hofstadter's Law:
    It always takes longer than you expect, even
    when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.