Subject: Re: bug#27357: 26.0.50; Emacs starts fullscreen in Ubuntu 17.04

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 16:27:43 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I've confirmed that Ryan Prior's patch fixes the problem for tooltip
>> positioning,
>
> Didn't he also fix the menu popups?

Yes, those seem to work fine, too..

> I'm glad you are the first to test his patch after almost two years.
> People were not very friendly at that time.  Maybe you could try to
> contact him?

That might be a good idea, but I'm not sure where the previous people
who were working on scaling were going with their work.

Amusingly enough, the 

      int scale = xg_get_gdk_scale ();

stuff that's sprinkled around just seems to get in the way of fixing
this stuff.  It explicitly looks at the GDK_SCALE environment variable,
which is (by default) not set.  So while some bits of Emacs is using
that variable to determine some things, querying GTK in the proper way
(with gtk_widget_get_scale_factor) will get another answer.

Hm...  perhaps I should just start a branch, try to clean stuff up and
see what happens...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no