Subject: bug#27357: 26.0.50; Emacs starts fullscreen in Ubuntu 17.04

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 11:11:10 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>> If I change this to
>>
>> {'eDP1': 11, 'eDP-1': 11}
>>
>> or anything less than 12, then all the Emacs frame sizes are correct:
>> Maximization doesn't happen, and --geometry works as expected.
>
> Can you change those settings on a per application basis?

Not that I know.  In any case, this seems like it's an Emacs bug, and
shouldn't we fix that?

> Does the window manager constrain the frame size to the screen?  WOW, if
> you specifiy an initial frame larger than your screen, do you get it
> that way?

If I say "xterm -geometry 800x20", then it seems to be constrained to
the screen size.

>> Could there be a math error somewhere?  And if so, where?
>
> IIRC GTK Emacs supports scaling only partially.  Could you try with
> another toolkit?

Well, this isn't about fixing my frames -- I can do that with a couple
of lines of Emacs Lisp.  But Emacs seems to be buggy here, and it would
be nice to fix that bug.

> Also, ISTR that people complained about mispositioned
> scroll bars, menus and tooltips, sometimes alos about misplaced
> underlinings and the like.  Do you see any of those effects too?

Nope.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no