Subject: Re: bug#27357: 26.0.50; Emacs starts fullscreen in Ubuntu 17.04

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 17:05:15 +0200

Wow.

After getting rid of the GDK_SCALE stuff (well, replacing it by querying
GTK for what scaling it's using), and doing the same with the
positioning as Ryan did (I ended up writing my own version to make it
fit better with the call conventions of the old GDK_SCALE stuff)...

Things just work.

That is, my Emacs opens with the right size window, unmaximized, and
everything is hunky dory.  I think.

Let's see...

Here's "emacs -Q":

That looks totally normal, doesn't it?  (I've forgotten how it's
supposed to look like after living with it opening in the wrong size for
some weeks.  :-))

It looks identical with "GDK_SCALE=1 emacs -Q".

What about "GDK_SCALE=2 emacs -Q"?

Hm...  the only thing that happened was that the menu bar font is twice
as large?  Hm...  Is that's what's supposed to happen?

If I say set the scale to 4, then the frame is twice as wide, and the
font is even huger.

Hm...  I feel like this isn't making total sense...  Or is it?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no