Subject: Re: [bug#27355] [PATCH 3/7] gnu: Add libsigrokdecode.

From: Hartmut Goebel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 12:09:58 +0200

Hi,
> Also, reading srd.c it seems that this library embeds Python.  Is it still supposed to be a propagated-input then?  It doesn't need the executable at runtime or anything.  Users probably do need the Python standard library, so I guess it's OK...  Hartmut, what do you think?

Sorry for answering late.

I'm confident that python should be a *normal* input – although it
should be tested (and the result documented in guix.texi). I'm short in
time, so I can't test myself now.

From the Documentation [1] I can not tell exactly how libpython behaves
if used embedded. But the code [2] says:

    Step 3 [… search python3 on $PATH]

    Step 4. Search the directories pointed to by the preprocessor variables
    PREFIX and EXEC_PREFIX.  These are supplied by the Makefile but can be
    passed in as options to the configure script.

So the PREFIX guix is setting is honoured (as a last resort).

BTW: I assume glib should be a normal input, too.

[1] https://docs.python.org/3/c-api/init.html
[2] https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/master/Modules/getpath.c#L73

[3] https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/master/Modules/getpath.c#L495
[4] https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/master/Modules/getpath.c#L364

-- 
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | [email-masked]               |
| www.crazy-compilers.com | compilers which you thought are impossible |