Subject: bug#27350: #27350 25.2; Make `inhibit-compacting-font-caches' customizable

From: "Felix E. Klee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 17:46:25 +0200

When I prepared the list, I was in Emacs with my configuration. Now in
Emacs started with option ‘-Q’ fonts are slightly different:

  -- -outline-Courier New-normal-normal-normal-mono-13-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1

  -- -outline-BatangChe-normal-normal-normal-mono-13-*-*-*-c-*-gb2312.1980-0

  -- -outline-MS Gothic-normal-normal-normal-mono-13-*-*-*-c-*-jisx0208*-*

  -- -outline-MS Gothic-normal-normal-normal-mono-13-*-*-*-c-*-jisx0208*-*

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 4:38 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> However, what we really want is not the list of all the fonts, but
> only those fonts which slow down redisplay.

Everything is slow. Even navigating point over the Latin (Courier)
characters is slow.

> I see no perceptible slowdown.

Maybe your system is faster. I suggest using a CPU monitor and moving
point around in ‘unicode.txt’. In the Windows Task manager, when doing
that, I see Emacs maxing out one entire CPU thread (25%, as my CPU has
four threads).

> Let me know if you need guidance for how to set that up. [Arial
> Unicode MS]

If you could post the necessary config lines, that would be great! The
font is installed on my system.