Subject: Re: Trilinos (was: Re: [bug#27344] [PATCH v3 4/8] gnu: Add xyce-serial.)

From: Theodoros Foradis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 23:11:44 +0300

Hello Ludovic,

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> What about adding Trilinos as a first-class package, independently of
> Xyce?  The package names could be “trilinos” and “trilinos-parallel”.
>
> However, Trilinos raises its own set of issues: it’s actually a set of
> 50 packages, which we’d rather provide as separate packages:
>
>   https://trilinos.org/packages/
>
> Do you know which ones are useful to Xyce?

The trilinos-serial-xyce and trilinos-parallel-xyce non-public packages
I submitted *should* (according to Xyce's build instructions) include
only the packages useful to Xyce. Also, they are the latest version that
is compatible with Xyce (12.6.3), 12.12.1 being the latest release.

Eric Bavier, had linked me with his WIP trilinos package
(http://paste.lisp.org/display/330792) in IRC about a year ago.

I figured out that since the trilinos version used with Xyce, will
always be older than the current one, and some of the packages/configure
flags of a general trilinos package won't be compatible with it, if it
inherits a general trilinos package, it should be modified in respect to
it every time there is a trilinos update.

This is why I decided to submit two non-public trilinos xyce-specific
packages, irrespective of the trilinos package we would like to include.

WDYT?

-- 
Theodoros Foradis