Subject: Re: bug#27341: updated patch to fix docstring

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 20:54:02 -0400

Alex Branham <[email-masked]> writes:

> Actually, we need to check (use-region-p) anyway in case the mark
> hasn't been activated yet in the buffer:

Oops, good catch, I hadn't thought of that.

> Subject: [PATCH] eww-search-words prompt for query if region inactive or blank
>
> ---

Could you add a ChangeLog entry to the commit message as described in
CONTRIBUTE, please?

>  (defun eww-search-words (&optional beg end)
>    "Search the web for the text between BEG and END.
> -See the `eww-search-prefix' variable for the search engine used."
> +    If region is active (and not whitespace), search the web for
> +  the text between BEG and END. Else, prompt the user for a search
> +  string. See the `eww-search-prefix' variable for the search
> +  engine used."

Doc strings shouldn't be indented like that, and there should be a
double space between sentences.

>    (interactive "r")
> -  (eww (buffer-substring beg end)))
> +  (if (use-region-p)
> +      (let ((region-string (buffer-substring beg end)))
> +        (if (not (string-match-p "\\`[ \n\t\r\v\f]*\\'" region-string))
> +            (eww region-string)))
> +    (eww (read-string "Query: "))))

This silently does nothing if the region is active but just blanks, did
you mean to fallback to querying in that case?