Subject: bug#27315: Regression: `abbreviate-file-name' and `tramp-file-name-handler'

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 14:38:13 +0200

Alexander Shukaev <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks Michael,

Hi Alexander,

> Attached to this answer, you will find the corresponding log file, and
> as usual, I had to "C-g" it after some time.  Looks interesting and
> basically as I stated originally, redisplay triggers
> `abbreviate-file-name' on a TRAMP-like path.  Though how come that you
> cannot reproduce it?  Any further ideas?

The backtrace has shown the difference. In my case, the password was
taken form .authinfo. In your case, it was requested interactively, in
the minibuffer. While getting the password from the minibuffer,
`redisplay' was triggered for you.

After changing my setup, I could reproduce the problem locally. It's
easy to fix; committed to the master branch.

I've changed Tramp also such a way, that in case Emacs is called with
"-Q", passwords are not retrieved via auth-sources. This should give us
better ways to reproduce problems.

> Thank you.
> Kind regards,
> Alexander

Best regards, Michael.