Subject: Re: bug#27315: Regression: `abbreviate-file-name' and `tramp-file-name-handler'

From: Alexander Shukaev <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 23:55:19 +0200

On 06/12/2017 05:59 PM, Michael Albinus wrote:
> There's no reason to do this at this point, I've checked the sources. So
> I have instrumented `tramp-handle-file-name-case-insensitive-p' to print
> its backtrace, in order to understand where it is called from. Committed
> to master.
> 
> Could you, pls, rerun your test with `tramp-verbose' being 10?

Thanks Michael,

Attached to this answer, you will find the corresponding log file, and 
as usual, I had to "C-g" it after some time.  Looks interesting and 
basically as I stated originally,

   tramp-handle-file-name-case-insensitive-p(#("/sudo:root@g75vw:/" 6 10 
(tramp-default t)))
   apply(tramp-handle-file-name-case-insensitive-p 
#("/sudo:root@g75vw:/" 6 10 (tramp-default t)))
   tramp-sh-file-name-handler(file-name-case-insensitive-p 
#("/sudo:root@g75vw:/" 6 10 (tramp-default t)))
   apply(tramp-sh-file-name-handler file-name-case-insensitive-p 
#("/sudo:root@g75vw:/" 6 10 (tramp-default t)))
   tramp-file-name-handler(file-name-case-insensitive-p 
#("/sudo:root@g75vw:/" 6 10 (tramp-default t)))
   file-name-case-insensitive-p(#("/sudo:root@g75vw:/" 6 10 
(tramp-default t)))
   abbreviate-file-name(#("/sudo:root@g75vw:/" 6 10 (tramp-default t)))
   (list (user-login-name) "@" (system-name) ":" (abbreviate-file-name 
(or (buffer-file-name) (file-name-as-directory default-directory))))
   eval((list (user-login-name) "@" (system-name) ":" 
(abbreviate-file-name (or (buffer-file-name) (file-name-as-directory 
default-directory)))))
   redisplay_internal\ \(C\ function\)()

redisplay triggers `abbreviate-file-name' on a TRAMP-like path.  Though 
how come that you cannot reproduce it?  Any further ideas?  Thank you.

Kind regards,
Alexander