Subject: [bug#27296] [PATCH 35/35] guix: Add texlive importer.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 17:06:10 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>> * guix/import/texlive.scm: New file.
>>> * guix/scripts/import/texlive.scm: New file.
>>> * Makefile.am (MODULES): Add them.
>>> * guix/scripts/import.scm (importers): Add texlive importer.

[...]

>> Any plans for an updater in that module?
>
> I wouldn’t know how.  Updates are done by changing the variables
> %texlive-tag and %texlive-revision in (guix build-system texlive) and
> then changing the package expressions.
>
> Since the version strings on CTAN differ from the revision of the TeX
> Live SVN repo I don’t see how we can make this robust.  For most
> packages we use the SVN revision.  This is much larger (“44445”) than
> the version string for packages on CTAN (e.g. “2.6a”).

I see.  Maybe something that updates the two %texlive-* variables and
the hashes would already be helpful.  No idea how hard it would be.

> I think we may need to enlarge “texlive-tiny” a little to make it more
> useful.  I’ve only tested it with fastcap, and noticed that it misses
> some bibtex files.
>
> Anyway, the foundation is there and I don’t think it would take too much
> effort to get us to “texlive-full” soon.

Excellent.

So how should we proceed now?  Should we gradually replace references to
‘texlive’ with ‘texlive-tiny’ or similar, and eventually remove
‘texlive’ and ‘texlive-texmf’ and rename ‘texlive-full’ to ‘texlive’?

Also, what should we do about ‘texlive-bin’?  Should it be built from
svn sources as well?   Can it be split in smaller chunks?

Thank you for all this!

Ludo’.