Subject: [bug#27296] [PATCH 35/35] guix: Add texlive importer.

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 17:01:18 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> * guix/import/texlive.scm: New file.
>> * guix/scripts/import/texlive.scm: New file.
>> * Makefile.am (MODULES): Add them.
>> * guix/scripts/import.scm (importers): Add texlive importer.
>
> Could you add a note in guix.texi as well as a basic test (possibly
> with mock of ‘http-get’) in tests/texlive.scm?

Done.

>> +         (checkout   (with-store store (download-svn-to-store store ref))))
>
> Note that as soon as we leave the dynamic extent of ‘with-store’, the
> checkout can be GC’d.  Thus, it’s safer to wrap the whole body in
> ‘with-store’.

Okay.

> Any plans for an updater in that module?

I wouldn’t know how.  Updates are done by changing the variables
%texlive-tag and %texlive-revision in (guix build-system texlive) and
then changing the package expressions.

Since the version strings on CTAN differ from the revision of the TeX
Live SVN repo I don’t see how we can make this robust.  For most
packages we use the SVN revision.  This is much larger (“44445”) than
the version string for packages on CTAN (e.g. “2.6a”).

> I think we’ll probably want a ‘texlive-full’ meta-package equivalent to
> our current ‘texlive’ package for some or our users (hi Andreas! :-)).

Yes, we should package all the other TeX packages that are part of TeX
Live, including those that appear to be just supporting files (e.g. the
“generic” sub-directory).

> Apart from that it’ll be interesting to see how many of the packages
> currently depending on ‘texlive’ can use ‘texlive-tiny’.

I think we may need to enlarge “texlive-tiny” a little to make it more
useful.  I’ve only tested it with fastcap, and noticed that it misses
some bibtex files.

Anyway, the foundation is there and I don’t think it would take too much
effort to get us to “texlive-full” soon.

I’m pushing this to master in a few minutes.  Thanks for the review!

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net