Subject: bug#27282: Perl 5.26.0 "dotless @INC" [was Re: bug#27227: [PATCH] gnu: perl: Update to 5.26.0.]

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 18:37:30 -0400

On Sun, Jun 04, 2017 at 03:19:39PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> > >> Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:
> > >> 
> > >> > * gnu/packages/perl.scm (perl): Update to 5.26.0.
> > >> > * gnu/packages/patches/perl-no-sys-dirs.patch: Update patch context for
> > >> > 'hints/linux.sh'.
> 
> I merged master into core-updates and pushed this as
> f65805485dac3f8c4586648e3f7e901202095a19.

Building locally, I found that SWIG fails to build with this new Perl
release due to the removal of the current directory from @INC. This
change is mentioned in the Perl release notes:

"We removed the current directory from @INC

We consider this a security change, and although it might cause
discomfort to some users, we had to do it. Both Perl 5 Porters and the
Toolchain Gang put effort into easing the transition to a dot-less
@INC.

If you want to load a module from the current directory, you can still
do this in one the following ways:

[...]

# Use the environment variable
PERL_USE_UNSAFE_INC=1"

http://blogs.perl.org/users/sawyer_x/2017/05/perl-5260-is-now-available.html

It doesn't look like this has been addressed by the SWIG maintainers
yet.

We should set this PERL_USE_UNSAFE_INC variable in the SWIG package
definition, right? Probably we will need to set it in several other
packages as well.