Subject: Re: Avoiding ‘propagated-inputs’ for Python dependencies

From: Hartmut Goebel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 11:00:29 +0200

Hi,

in addition to what I just wrote, you should be aware of this
implementation restriction:

.pth-files are searched only in directories listed in sys.path
(PYTHONPATH), they are not searched recursively.

Assuming the dependency-graph AAA -> SOME-PACKAGE -> PPP, guix (after
implementing this proposal) will only install AAA into the profile and
only .AAA.pth will be processes. This will result into PPP to be not found.

This could be worked around by adding a module "sitecustomize.py" to our
python setup, which could implement the recursive addition of paths.

BTW: The corresponding patch for python-2.7-site-prefixes.patch is
missing for Python 3, so for Python 3 no .pth-files are processed at
all  – I assume. (I have no time ATM for testing. Sorry.)

-- 
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | [email-masked]               |
| www.crazy-compilers.com | compilers which you thought are impossible |