Subject: Re: bug#27271: [PATCH 0/4] Catch collisions at profile creation time

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2017 11:41:31 +0200

Heya,

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> These patches allow us to catch problematic collisions when computing
>> a profile derivation.  As we know, the profile builder often spits out
>> a number of warnings about collisions but that is not very useful because
>> users cannot distinguish the problematic cases from the harmless cases
>> (an example of a harmless case is when GDB and Binutils provide an
>> almost-identical .info file twice).
>
> This is very good!  Thanks for implementing it!
>
>> An open question is whether there are commonly used combinations of
>> packages that trigger conflicts.  I haven’t had any problems with my
>> profile (with 234 packages) nor with my GuixSD config, but I encourage
>> you to test it on your profile!
>
> We often see this at the MDC because some people don’t use manifests and
> I may have upgraded the shared Guix instance between invocations of
> “guix package”.  This happens particularly often with numpy because
> that’s propagated quite often.  (I’d *love* to get rid of propagated
> inputs in Python!  They are so annoying!)

Perhaps we could modify ‘sys.path’ from the top of ‘__init__.py’ file to
get something similar to RUNPATH.  I’m not sure if there are any
downsides or gotchas.  Thoughts?

> I’ll give this a try soon and report my experience with it.

Great, thanks for your feedback!

Ludo’.