Subject: Re: bug#27264: gnome-shell-3.24.2 consistently dies during initialization

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 15:16:00 +0200

Hi Mark,

Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I'm not sure why you think "we are all guilty".  Is it because we have a
> collective responsibility to merge 'staging' more quickly than would be
> possible if we waited for someone to test it first?  If so, I disagree.

Yes, I wrote “we are all guilty” because I think we are collectively
responsible.  Those who worked on it did their best to track and fix
problems on the branch before merging and simply overlooked this
problem; IOW, there was some testing, just not this particular test,
which, in hindsight, is a mistake.

> On the contrary, I believe we have a responsibility to make sure major
> upgrade branches are tested before they are merged, because a broken
> 'master' effectively means that we cannot deploy security updates to
> users until the problem is fixed.

I agree.

But again, the branch was tested.  Remember that gnome-shell is just one
of the many things this branch touched; many other things lower in stack
were upgraded.

IOW, let’s not be too harsh to ourselves.  We made an embarrassing
mistake; we fixed it in a couple of days, and the lesson we learned is
that we must test a full GNOME desktop the next time we upgrade things
in this area.

Ludo’.