Subject: gnome-shell-3.24.2 consistently dies during initialization

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2017 00:59:41 -0400

On my x86_64-linux system running GuixSD, on my first attempt to update
my system since 'staging' was merged, GNOME Shell consistently fails to
start.  If I switch to tty1 (text console), I see this error message:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(.gnome-shell-real:11698): Gjs-WARNING **: JS ERROR: Error: Requiring Rsvg, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'Rsvg' (any version) not found
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/padOsd.js:8:7
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/windowManager.js:20:7
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/workspace.js:19:7
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/appDisplay.js:26:7
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/dash.js:13:7
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/overviewControls.js:10:7
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/overview.js:20:7
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/legacyTray.js:12:7
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/main.js:23:7
@<main>:1:31

** Message: Execution of main.js threw exception: JS_EvaluateScript() failed
gnome-session-binary[11649]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1

(.gnome-shell-real:11717): Gjs-WARNING **: JS ERROR: Error: Requiring Rsvg, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'Rsvg' (any version) not found
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/padOsd.js:8:7
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/windowManager.js:20:7
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/workspace.js:19:7
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/appDisplay.js:26:7
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/dash.js:13:7
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/overviewControls.js:10:7
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/overview.js:20:7
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/legacyTray.js:12:7
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/main.js:23:7
@<main>:1:31

** Message: Execution of main.js threw exception: JS_EvaluateScript() failed
gnome-session-binary[11649]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1
gnome-session-binary[11649]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' respawning too quickly
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

       Mark