Subject: Re: bug#27261: guix package -u should warn about non-existent packages

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 19:53:26 -0400

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 10:30:10PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> skribis:
> > In order to guard against users unwittingly using old software with
> > unpatched security flaws, "guix package -u" should issue a warning if
> > any packages in the profile that match the provided patterns are not
> > found in the set of available packages.
> 
> Fixed in a1b46bdc069e6e3bbc5b171fafbc40213611ff1f, thanks!

I noticed this doesn't work in some cases, although I'm not sure exactly
when it will work and when it won't.

I ran `guix pull` after this missing package warning was implemented,
but before I pushed afc9d8ec2b724b67f (gnu: Add jmtpfs).

I installed jmtpfs from a Git checkout, and then ran `guix package -u .`

As expected, Guix complained that the jmtpfs package does not exist.

However, it did not complain about the syncthing package in my profile,
even though syncthing is not available in Guix. The syncthing package is
on a branch that's not checked out, and there is no stray
'gnu/packages/syncthing.go' file.

I thought it might be caused by the presence of the qsyncthingtray
package in Guix (not in my profile), but even after I deleted that
package and rebuilt Guix from a fresh checkout, I still had this
problem.