Subject: Re: bug#27243: another case: dired-auto-revert-buffer jumps point to beginning of buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 21:58:02 +0300

> Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 20:40:53 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Conceptually both, ‘pop-to-buffer-same-window’ and ‘switch-to-buffer’,
> behave alike in this regard: They avoid the minibuffer and windows
> strongly dedicated to their buffers.  Interactively, ‘switch-to-buffer’
> may show another buffer in a strongly dedicated window when the option
> ‘switch-to-buffer-in-dedicated-window’ is non-nil, but I suppose the
> issues mentioned in this thread are not about the interactive use of
> ‘switch-to-buffer’.
> 
>  > E.g., what happens in this particular use case if the Dire4d buffer
>  > pops in another window?
> 
> If the dired buffer was earlier shown by ‘switch-to-buffer’ and is now
> shown by ‘pop-to-buffer-same-window’, the behaviors should be the same.
> Quitting the dired window, however, may behave differently.

I don't think I'm bothered by quitting.  I'm bothered by some feature
calling find-file that could somehow find the file shown in a window
different from the one where the command was invoked.  Are you saying
this isn't more likely to happen than with switch-to-buffer itself?
If so, we can indeed modify find-file to use
pop-to-buffer-same-window.

Thanks.