Subject: Re: bug#27243: another case: dired-auto-revert-buffer jumps point to beginning of buffer

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 20:40:53 +0200

> Martin, when might pop-to-buffer-same-window show the buffer in a
 > window other than the selected one?  If we are going to make this
 > change, we need first to understand when it might misfire, because
 > some users of find-file might not like the situation where the buffer
 > pops up in another window.

Conceptually both, ‘pop-to-buffer-same-window’ and ‘switch-to-buffer’,
behave alike in this regard: They avoid the minibuffer and windows
strongly dedicated to their buffers.  Interactively, ‘switch-to-buffer’
may show another buffer in a strongly dedicated window when the option
‘switch-to-buffer-in-dedicated-window’ is non-nil, but I suppose the
issues mentioned in this thread are not about the interactive use of
‘switch-to-buffer’.

 > E.g., what happens in this particular use case if the Dire4d buffer
 > pops in another window?

If the dired buffer was earlier shown by ‘switch-to-buffer’ and is now
shown by ‘pop-to-buffer-same-window’, the behaviors should be the same.
Quitting the dired window, however, may behave differently.

martin