Subject: bug#27243: another case: dired-auto-revert-buffer jumps point to beginning of buffer

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 00:48:18 +0200

[Altered Subject to attract more attention]

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 17:28:59 +0200 Antoine Levitt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but still not completely fixed ;-)
>>>From emacs -Q, (setq dired-auto-revert-buffer t), C-x C-f RET, C-x b
> RET, C-x C-f RET, and point jumps.

This is exactly the same probem as the last one with dired and the same
change -- using pop-to-buffer-same-window instead of switch-to-buffer in
find-file -- fixes it.  Since the dired change exposed a problematic
dependency on switch-to-buffer in todo-mode.el (since fixed), if there
are other packages that have a similar dependency, making the same
change in find-file runs the risk of changing behavior in these
packages.  But like with todo-mode.el, presumably it would be better to
expose and eliminate such a dependency than to leave it as a possibly
ticking time-bomb.  So should we go ahead and make this change to
find-file?  (I wonder if there are more such cases waiting in the
wings...)

Steve Berman