Subject: bug#27242: closed (Re: bug#27242: Fail to load LUKS encrypted rootfs, attempts to open luks device before it's ready.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2017 23:11:02 +0000

Your bug report

#27242: Fail to load LUKS encrypted rootfs, attempts to open luks device before it's ready.

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
27242: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=27242
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#27242: Fail to load LUKS encrypted rootfs, attempts to open luks device before it's ready.
From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
To: Adam Van Ymeren <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2017 19:10:27 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Adam Van Ymeren <[email-masked]> writes:

> Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> I ran into the same problem at one point, and have applied the following
>> patch to my private branch of Guix.  Perhaps it should be applied to
>> master.
>
> Thanks, this patch works for me.  Something like this upstream would be
> nice :)

I pushed a similar patch to master as commit
f45878a80d412dd79c95e9274c3ee5dd24e1cec9.

> This can probably be unified with the resolve function defined in
> build/file-systems.scm

Thanks for pointing this out.  I don't currently have the spare time to
think about it, but feel free to propose a patch to rework this in a
nicer way :)

I'm closing this bug for now.

     Thanks!
       Mark

Subject: Fail to load LUKS encrypted rootfs, attempts to open luks device before it's ready.
From: Adam Van Ymeren <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2017 18:06:15 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On my machine when booting GuixSD, it fails to find the rootfs from the
initramfs.  It errors out attempting to find the luks device node.
Shortly after it errors is when I see the kernel dmesg output of the
nvme0 device becomining ready.

It looks like we need to wait for the device node to become ready, or
poll/sleep a few times if we fail to locate the device.

Thanks!
-Adam