Subject: Re: bug#27235: [PATCH] gnu: Add openscenegraph.

From: Manolis Ragkousis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 09:29:26 +0300

Hey Alex,

On 06/06/17 22:59, Alex Kost wrote:
> [email-masked] (2017-06-04 17:57 +0300) wrote:
> 
>> +(define-public openscenegraph
>> +  (package
>> +    (name "openscenegraph")
>> +    (version "3.4.0")
>> +    (source (origin
>> +       (method url-fetch)
>> +       (uri (string-append "http://trac.openscenegraph.org/downloads/developer_releases/"
>> +                           "OpenSceneGraph-" version ".zip"))
> 
> Isn't this version old?  I see 3.5.6 here:
> 
>   https://github.com/openscenegraph/OpenSceneGraph/releases
> 

I was following this [1] and chose 3.4.0.

The github release is a developer version and according to [2]: "Our
developer releases are made more regularily than our stable releases and
are simply tags of the latest source code under version control.  The
developer releases do not under any dedicated testing prior to release
and are meant to be snapshots of the latest development work that is
going into the next stable release. The versioning for stable release is
major.minor.patch where the minor release is odd number signifying that
it's developer release."

For this reason I think we should go with 3.4.0 for now.

Thank you,
Manolis

[1] http://www.openscenegraph.org/index.php/download-section/stable-releases
[2]
http://www.openscenegraph.org/index.php/download-section/developer-releases