Subject: bug#27230: eldoc doc

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 15:02:11 +0300

On 9/14/17 2:47 PM, Peder O. Klingenberg wrote:

> As I discovered today, when I updated my tree, there are callers outside
> emacs core that do call eldoc-message with more than one argument.
> slime-autodoc.el is one such package, which I use.

Thanks for letting us know.

> The slime project has an open issue on this, with a patch, but it hasn't
> been applied yet, after sitting in the discussion for 17 days.

I've commented on it: https://github.com/slime/slime/issues/400

For one thing, third-party packages should *not* use eldoc-message.

> IMO commit 7ef0b5f611c2d56ac2edb8de287190f04c4b8f32 was an ill-advised
> change.  The code worked fine before, the cleanup afforded by breaking
> the api was negligible.  I think it should be reverted.

Aside from breaking the "obviously wrong" callers like explained above, 
the code had a subtle bug where calling it with no format arguments, and 
then with some arguments, wouldn't update the message area.

> (Slime would benefit from cleaing up their callers as well, no doubt,
> but not every slime user should be forced to do that on their own.

Of course, the project maintainers should do it.

All the best,
Dmitry.