Subject: bug#27230: eldoc doc

From: [email-masked] (Peder O. Klingenberg)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 13:47:27 +0200

On Mon, Jun 26 2017 at 04:04, Dmitry Gutov wrote:

> On 6/25/17 10:47 PM, Charles A. Roelli wrote:
>
>> FORMAT-STRING (or nil, if not given) is stored in
>> `eldoc-last-message'.  If ARGS are given, FORMAT-STRING is first
>> formatted through `format-message'.
>
> I wonder if we ever call this function with more than one argument. If
> not, the code and the doc call for simplification. We can avoid
> advertising this possibility, at least.

As I discovered today, when I updated my tree, there are callers outside
emacs core that do call eldoc-message with more than one argument.
slime-autodoc.el is one such package, which I use.

The slime project has an open issue on this, with a patch, but it hasn't
been applied yet, after sitting in the discussion for 17 days.

IMO commit 7ef0b5f611c2d56ac2edb8de287190f04c4b8f32 was an ill-advised
change.  The code worked fine before, the cleanup afforded by breaking
the api was negligible.  I think it should be reverted.

(Slime would benefit from cleaing up their callers as well, no doubt,
but not every slime user should be forced to do that on their own.  And
there may be more third-party, infrequently maintained packages using
eldoc.)

...Peder...
-- 
This must be Thursday.  I never could get the hang of Thursdays.