Subject: bug#27217: texlive is too big

From: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 18:47:49 +0100

> I don’t think that’s correct.  The .ins/.dtx files contain instructions
> for generating files, including the .sty files, which are extracted from
> the .dtx files.

What I meant is that the .sty is always already generated in the SVN repo.
Can you find a counter-example?

> We have both kinds of packages in tex.scm.  Some where the .sty or .tex source
> files are copied to the target location and some where the .sty or .tex files
> are generated from the .ins/.dtx sources.

And some where it's a mix of both :p

> Whether a .sty or .tex file is a source file isn’t always obvious, but
> sometimes they mention that they are generated from other files.

> For some fonts the provided format *is* the source.

Hmm, maybe you are right and I'm wrong about this.

TeXlive has many formats: mf (source), afm, tfm, type1, several bitmap
formats...  I'm a bit suspicious about some fonts.  Lots of them are under
"other-free", while some are under "unknown".  Hmm...
Well, let's take care about this later.