Subject: bug#27217: texlive is too big

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 13:58:21 +0200

Peter Neidhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> What's the current status on this?

No progress yet.  I’ve been meaning to work on this, but it’s pretty
tedious and demands concentration, which is a quality I haven’t been
able to maintain.

For most *packages* needing a subset of TeX live we can use
“texlive-union” as an input instead.  For user profiles, “texlive-union”
is not the right tool.

> What's the intended TeXlive installation process then?

Currently, the recommended way to get TeX live is to install the
huge “texlive” package.  “texlive-union” was only meant to be used as an
input in packages that require a subset of TeX live.  It cannot yet be
used in a profile.

> Let me know if I there is anything I can help with.

We need a profile hook that builds the configuration file and sets
environment variables whenever a texlive-* package is contained in a
profile.  The behaviour would be similar to “texlive-union”.

--
Ricardo