Subject: bug#27217: texlive is too big

From: Peter Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 13:07:24 +0200

What's the current status on this?

I've tried processing an Org letter
(http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/koma-letter-export.html) and I get
the following error:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(/gnu/store/m6ff2qqh0s1s8dy2ip5d757lmf5ai31x-texlive-tiny-44591/share/texmf-dis
t/tex/latex/graphics-def/pdftex.def)))

! LaTeX Error: File `grffile.sty' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: sty)

Enter file name:
! Emergency stop.
<read *>

l.8 \usepackage
               {longtable}^^M
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
Transcript written on .//koma-letter-new-example.log.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I have installed some packages, among which

- texlive-bin
- Some texlive-latex-*
- texlive-latex-oberdiek (which contains grffile.sty)
- texlive-tiny

I noticed that texlive-latex-oberdiek is not in ~(texlive-union)~ (which is
used to generate texlive-tiny), so I suppose this is the root of the
issue.

Without texlive-tiny, pdflatex does not even start, failing on some
missing Perl module.

What's the intended TeXlive installation process then?
Would Guix provide a 1-to-1 map of the CTAN packages and it would be up
to the user to define their own texlive collection which calls
~(texlive-union ...)~ over a custom set of packages?

If so, I assume that koma-script does not have its own package yet.
Correct?

Let me know if I there is anything I can help with.

-- 
Pierre Neidhardt