Subject: Re: bug#27217: texlive is too big

From: Mathieu Lirzin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 14:20:54 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> What’s missing?
>
> Currently, one needs to set a lot of environment variables to use these
> separate packages.  For “fastcap” I needed to set “DVIPSHEADERS” (to
> find “tex.pro”), “TFMFONTS” (for compiled metafont files), “TEXFORMATS”
> (for the compiled “latex.fmt”), and “TEXINPUTS” (for all directories
> containing tex source files).  Setting these variables manually is
> really tedious.
>
> How can we set them automatically?  A simple idea is to provide a
> procedure “texlive-union” that takes texlive packages and produces a
> wrapped variant of the tools in “texlive-bin” that run inside an
> environment where these variables are set.

After reading, it is not clear to me why having all the environment
variables set in “~/.guix-profile/etc/profile” is not good enough, or
not possible?

-- 
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37