Subject: Re: bug#27210: 25.2; Recovering loaddefs.el with desktop-mode hangs when linum is on

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2017 11:08:59 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> And don't forget that the initial frame is invisible in non-daemon
> sessions as well, until some point during startup.

I don't understand, is this an objection?  It only seems to support
making the daemon frame invisible as well (i.e., the approach in my
patch).

> There are more than 70 references to FRAME_VISIBLE_P in the C sources,
> and another 2 dozen references to frame-visible-p in Lisp sources --
> sounds to me like a lot of potential for breaking stuff.
>
> My alternative proposal is much simpler, is localized to linum.el, and
> in a nutshell tests exactly the same condition, since any frame in a
> daemon session that can be visible is by definition a client frame.
> Do you see any disadvantages with installing that instead?

The only disadvantage is that we still have this invisible daemon frame
which is marked as visible.  I agree it's okay to apply your patch now
and see if we get some other similar problems later.